Friday, February 11, 2011

Life in Kolkata

Since I have wrote mostly about my travels around India, I thought I should tell you a little bit of my experience living in a city an extended amount of time. Kolkata is a city of 15 million people and is one of the world's biggest people. When I told people I was coming here, I often got the question how will you deal with all those people. I do come from a small town and it was an understandable question to be asked. Now that I am here, I'm dealing quite well with it. At first, it was overwhelming but now I'm used to it. I never feel like I am in that big of city.
Adjusting to traffic was an intersting experience for me. The people plus the amount of cars was overwhelming and scary. I have joked it is a real life game of Frogger. Who knew playing that game would come in handy. You just have to close your eyes and have faith that you won't get hit. I have actually become quite good at crossing the street and I just go. You have to be quick and mentally aware to make it across the street alive.
I'm getting used to all the activites that are afforded to me living in a big city. The different streets you walk down and the places you find is remarkable. The other day I found a place called Aurobindo Bhawan. It is a place where you can meditate and enjoy the beautiful garden. It is the birthplace of a guru. I couldn't believe walking in off the busy street and it was so peaceful. I have also visited College Street. It is one of the most famous places in Kolkata and oldest. It has 4 of the oldest Kolkata universities. There are tons of book stalls. I don't think you can even imagince the number of book stalls that are possiible. It was for sure an eye candy experience for me! In addition, I went to the famous Indian Coffee house and of course had coffee! The things that you can do are amazing....I can't wait to explore more of the city and tell you of the places I find.

Till I write again,
Bekkah

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely time you seem to be having. I am so envious. Aurobindo Bhawan sounds like a place that I would really enjoy

    ReplyDelete