Thursday, January 13, 2011

Taj Mahal

I had the opportunity to go to the Taj Mahal on Janurary 5th. Yes, I know its Jan 13th and I'm sitting down to write this blog post. Anyway, the group had Agra on their mind.
We got up way to early for college students and of course they had to come wake me up. I slept till the time we were supposed to leave because the alarm didn't go off. I quickly got dressed and ready to go see something that I had dreamt about seeing for a lifetime.
We ended up boarding the bus and started our 3 hour journey to Agra. Anyway, we had breakfast on the way. It was so cold that day! We all froze because we didn't think India would get that cold. I wish I wore my layers. It was at freezing for the majority of the morning and the whole night. On top of that, our driver decided to take the back roads and the trip ended up being six hours. It was one of the most miserable rides of my life.
We finally made it to Agra. The Taj Mahal came into view. The government allows only nonpolluting vehicles within a mile because it keeps the marble in better shape. So we parked and took a little ride up to the site. When you pay, they give you shoe covers and a bottle of water. The shoe covers make your feet look like elves!
It was cool entering and it was there.
I can't describe seeing it because there are so many words that could be used. Its hard to pick just one! We were all snapping photos away for the first few minutes.
As you walk up, you can just sense the majesticness and grandeur of the place. Everything about the Taj is symmetrical. There is a mosque built on one side and they have a building mirroring the mosques. The work that went into the place.
I finally entered to see the tomb of Shan Jan's second wife. She was the most beloved. She died in childbirth and it was her 14th! I just couldn't believe that she lasted that long. It was neat to see the inside but at the same time disappointing. There was so many people inside that it made it hard to enjoy.
After the Taj, we ended up going to the Agra Fort. We ended up being more entertained by the monkeys and ended up watching them for awhile.
Then we had dinner and it was one of the best dinners we had while in India. The food was so good!
Besides the miserable bus ride, it ended up being a good day! Signing off!

No comments:

Post a Comment