Friday, January 21, 2011

First Trip to the Doctor

So I got sick and I had to make the trip to the doctor. I had such a bad cough that it was beginning to get hard to breathe. It was one of the suckiest feelings that I have experienced in my life. It went on for quite a few days and I finally relented to going to the doctor.
I ended up going on Monday because I came to college and felt absolutely horrible that day. That day I unexpectedly went to the doctor with Madhu. We walked down the street and took a turn to arrive at the clinic. We went to reception and after a few minutes directed us to another floor. I had to climb stairs and it was hard for me to climb up because of my cough. Anyway, we finally made it to the floor. Once again, we had to talk to reception and they said have a seat.
I ended up waiting for a few minutes. Madhu and I chatted a bit but I wasn't very good company. Then we got called and I had no idea what to expect. It was the first time I have ever been to a doctor outside the country and even my state. I knew it was going to be quite the experience and a story to tell.
I walked in with Madhu and sat in the chairs. He asked what the symptoms were in Bengali. Madhu answered in English and Bengali. He then asked me in English and I answered the best I could. It was interesting switching between languages in an office visit. This is something that wouldn't happen at the doctor in America.
After talking about my symptoms, he asked me to lay down on the exam table. He took my blood pressure laying down; something that I have never been asked to do. He then listened to my heart and lungs. Then I got down and went back to the chair.
He then prescribed a few things. A cough syrup that is lime green and frightened me at first. I was also prescribed doxovent which is an anti asthmatic and I also got vitamn c. All the drugs have made me feel much better. The whole doctor visit plus medicine costed me 380 rupees or about 10 dollars. It was money well worth spent. I feel much better now and I hope to write again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment